Friday, October 22, 2010

Day One

So I've decided to embark on a journey to a happier, healthier lifestyle. To help me do this, I've set up this blog - it's intended not only to hold me accountable and record my thoughts, but also to allow the people I love to keep track of my progress and to support me, something I'm going to need a lot of!
Let me start by saying this is HARD for me. The things I plan to talk about on this blog are things I’m used to keeping very private, like how much I weigh, how that makes me feel, what I’m eating, etc. But keeping it all private hasn’t gotten me very far in the past, so we’re going public! Just bear with me.
So this Halloween season I got a particularly terrifying scare — my weight. It’s been creeping up on me, and I’ve been avoiding the scale. So it was a SHOCK when I weighed myself today. I’m at 240 lbs (insert bloodcurdling scream here), the most I’ve ever weighed in my entire life. I was resolved to start a lifestyle change before weighing myself, but now I’m even more onboard. Seriously, those numbers are terrifying. They make me want to cry, and I definitely don’t want anyone else to see them. But I’m putting them out there, because I need to face them!
I think I’ve spent a lot of time believing the problem is going to fix itself. Now I know for sure that it won’t…that I actually have to do something about it. I’m basically trying to learn a new way to live my life. It’s scary, but at this point I have no other option. If I keep living the way I’m living, I’m not going to live very long.
Current Stats
Weight: 240lbs.
Waist: 48in
Hips: 55in
Bust: 47in
Goals
Weight: 170lbs. At least for now.
Fitness: Be able to walk from Hull Deck to the second floor of Park Hall (using the stairs, of course) without pain or suffering.
Lifestyle: More veggies, more activity, less sugar and fat. Less dependence on food in general. Also, learn to like fish!
Plan
Food: South Beach-esque, cutting sugar and fat as much as possible
Exercise: 4 times per week for 20-30 minutes
Lifestyle: Keep written journal and blog to track progress. Plan out meals a week ahead of time. Count calories. Weigh in every Friday.
Goals for this week (starting today)
Food: Plan and cook healthy meals. Keep track of everything eaten. Count calories consistently.
Fitness: Walk to and from Biology on Tues/Thurs — no bus! (pray for me!). Do 20-30 minutes of dedicated exercise 4x before next Friday.
Lifestyle: Acknowledge difference between hunger and craving. Keep track of number of times per day I experience cravings. Write down feelings instead of succumbing to them.
Today’s Rundown
Confession: had Nutella on toast this morning with justification that I would throw it away later. Forced self to throw it away this afternoon, along with a cake I had baked. It actually felt really good!
Still have All Natural Cheetos I bought the other day. Threw out Cheetos. Huzzah!
Exercise: Danced it out. 30 minutes. Worked up a sweat and a side stitch. Victory!
I’m about to sit down and plan out my meals for next week. Then I’m going to the grocery store to stock up on healthy stuff.
Right now I have a lot of energy and enthusiasm. I am all gung-ho and confident. But soon I’m pretty sure that will go. I’m going to want to give up again. That’s where you folks come in. I’m really hoping that the support of my family and friends will help get me through this, because I know for sure I can’t do it alone. So please don’t hesitate to comment with tips and encouragement! I love all of you!

Before pictures:

YIKES.
And away we go!

9 comments:

Jeano said...

Wow. I am just in awe. You are so smart and articulate. Babe! Who took the pics. Where did you get the darn tape measure. WOW! WOW! WOW! How smart you are to do this. It's much better than cooking every recipe in Juliet Childs cookbook. You will have days that you just want to revert and ya know you will be able to eat those things, but for now I think you're smart to go cold turkey. That always worked for me and it will get you on the road to health! Let me know what I can do. I'm cheering and praying. xoxoxoxo Love you bunches.

Campbell said...

Lol! I took the pics with my computer...and the tape measure was in my knitting stuff. I agree...cold turkey gives more structure, but I feel like South Beach gives you a lot of options too, so you don't feel like you're so limited. Thanks so much, love you too!

Dr. Ann DeRosa said...

Throw down! Yeah, Campbell, I can fill up a veggie drawer, too. BUT, can you eat it all before any of it turns in to a science experiment!!! I am on the downsizing, toning up with you!! You are an inspiration. For me, inflammation from white stuff is the culprit, too. So what about bread, white rice, potatoes (that means McDonald's!!) are they out, as well?!?!? Let's do it!!! Hoowah!! Go Girl!! BIG LOVE, AA

Dr. Ann DeRosa said...

PS--Great blog, can't wait for Day two!! LOVE the writing, graphics, honesty, bringing in the troops. We are all here for you!

Campbell said...

Lol, I'm the same way with the veggie drawer...it always seems to go bad so much faster than I expect! But yes, all that is out! I'm trying to do phase 1 of South Beach which is basically no carbs, so we'll see how I do. Thanks so much for the encouragement! You're the best!

Dr. Ann DeRosa said...

Would love to hear about your favorite recipes, what works and what you like, what isn't so great. I've started a South Beach heart healthy cookbook for moi and the boys. Here's a quick and easy spinach dip that has 0 cholesterol and relatively low fat.

1 Box frozen organic spinach, thawed and drained DRY
1 tub of lemon hummus or make your own, add lemon (1 1/2 c.)
Add a T of olive oil +/-
garlic, salt and pepper to taste
pulse together in the food processer
serve with toasted whole grain pita points or go at it with a spoon.

268 Calories; Calcium 131 mg; Calories from fat 38% (cut out the olive oil); cholesterol 0mg; Figer 6g; Iron 4 mg; Protein 10mg; Sat fat 2g (take out the olive oil); sodium 533 mg (take out salt and make or by salt free hummus)

Campbell said...

Sounds delicious, I'll definitely try it, thanks!

Jeano said...

You guys are the best. I haven't exactly figured out how to join or negotiate this blog, even tho Campbell and I built one. But I'll get help and be in the know. I did see Aunt Ann's comments. Just thinking about you all day and loving to hear about the walk. You are determined. Go Girl! I'm off to play tennis and you're right it is a truly beautiful time of year. Love U xoxoxoxo

Jeano said...

Just checking in. How was your day?

Post a Comment