Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Day Sixty-One

Oh, boy. I'm up to my old tricks again.

I'm not going to make any excuses: claim Christmas, blame it on being at home, or any of the like. I have to be able to stay healthy in a variety of situations, and if simply coming home is enough to throw me off, I have a lot of work to do!

So it's confession time.

Confession #1: I've only exercised twice since I came home on December 13.

Confession #2: I made an Italian cream cake for our annual DeRosa/Hebrank/Krebs/Linton Christmas dinner. I licked the bowl. Both the batter bowl and the icing bowl. There was also a bowl of M&Ms on the counter while I was baking which I partook of far too frequently.

Confession #3: I had a piece of cake at dinner. A large one. I ate most of it.

Confession #4: The morning after, I ate leftover cake. And leftover mashed potatoes. And leftover M&Ms.

Confession #5: This morning I ate two spoonfuls of leftover cake icing. Thank God Mom threw the cake out.

These confessions are meant to serve the same purpose they would in a religious context. I'm stating my sins, asking for absolution, and beginning again with a clean slate.

I expected to experience a few pitfalls over the holidays, but it scares me all the same, when these old behaviors resurface. Even though I know I can't expect myself to be instantly and permanently cured of my food issues, every time I deviate just a little bit from being healthy I immediately feel like I've failed.

I think the biggest concern I have is not the fact that I ate some cake and mashed potatoes. It's the fact that I did a lot of it in secret, and experienced that familiar feeling of shame after I'd done it. The fear that someone in the house was going to notice that I'd eaten cake. The fear that they would also think I'm a failure.

Therein, I believe, lies the problem. I indulge in secret, and feel ashamed afterwards. These feelings of shame and failure lead to further secretive unhealthy eating, which will eventually result in actual failure.

So. I'm putting my sins out there for everyone to see, and I'm refusing to be ashamed. Instead, I'm going to wipe the slate clean and start again. A couple of days of cake will not ruin me! So we're going to focus on the positives:

Positive #1: While I indulged, I did not binge. In the past, had I been alone with half a leftover cake, another half of it would have been gone before the day was through. After the piece at dinner, I had a few more bites, at most. Mom ended up giving and throwing most of the cake away (the throwing away part at my request!).

Positive #2: I'm not nursing secret shame. At least, not anymore. I'm not letting it get me down. I'm not letting it lead to further bad decisions.

Positive #3: I'm using this slight downfall to facilitate further growth. I want to use this to encourage myself in the future, since I know this will not be the only downfall I'll ever experience.

Okay, so those are the only positives I can think of right now. :) But it's a start. The biggest step for me is putting all this out in the open instead of keeping it to myself and pretending it didn't happen. I know this blog has been my strength and support so far, and I intend to keep it that way!

Plan of action:

1. Get exercise today. And tomorrow. And the day after that. And the day after that!

2. Go back to counting calories and posting them on the blog every night.

3. Post on the blog every night!

4. Plan meals for the rest of the week. Knowing what I'm going to eat ahead of time always makes for healthier decisions!

5. Don't beat myself up if I indulge in a few treats between now and Christmas. Continue to employ moderation and restraint.

Onward and upward! I know you guys are rooting for me!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

sister! you need to come hang out at my house more often...you know I have NO food at all here lol! Its totally ok to indulge a little over the holidays, but lets exercise together thursday! yeah? love you!!!

Jane said...

Be not ashamed! This is the holidays. We ALL go overboard.
But DO get some exercise, girl! Burn that cake off. Dance that cake off!
And plan some delicious meals to combat the sweets.
Don't beat yourself up is right. Dust yourself off and get back up.
You have done amazingly well so far! And admitting things is admirable. You can change. It just takes time and mindfulness. But you are well on the road!

I'm really proud of you, Campbell!
Merry Christmas.
love, Aunt Jane

Jeano said...

So I posted but it had Daddy's name on it. I don't see it so I'm going to say it again. You have come a long way, baby! You can do this. Keep your chin up, beautiful girl. I love that you walked yesterday with Daddy and Gigi. We can keep the Italian cakes out of the house and go with the mackeral "). Love U. Mom

Jane said...

Hey there, Campbell.
Happy New Year!!!
Where are you? Let's get this blog going again. :-) I've missed it!

It's not a great day for walking outside, but there is dancing to be done! Or some stairs. Or some jumping jacks. And there's delicious healthy food awaiting you...which will also bring you good luck! —Blackeyed peas, greens, maybe a pork cutlet with some mustard sauce... yum!

I keep reminding myself that after today, the holidays are over.
I'll be good if you'll be good!

love, Aunt Jane

Post a Comment